Peanut Butter Popcorn BallsDec 12 2011 by
I don’t know what it is about Christmas and popcorn but they seem to go together. How did the tradition of stringing popcorn on the tree start and why did we always make caramel popcorn balls and wrap them in green or red plastic wrap? Whatever the reason I’m delighted to share this recipe with everyone to enjoy for themselves or to give as gifts to carry on the popcorn tradition. It’s so easy that everyone in the family can participate in some part of the fun of making these tasty treats.
- 1 cup raw honey or coconut nectar
- 1 cup raw coconut crystals
- 1 cup unsweetened peanut butter (creamy or crunchy, whatever you prefer), room temperature
- 8 cups popped popcorn
- course ground sea salt to taste
- 1/2 cup peanuts (optional)
- Measure the popcorn into a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium sized sauce pan stir together the honey and coconut crystals. Turn heat to medium high and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Adjust heat down a little if needed to keep from boiling over.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add in the peanut butter. Stir until completely mixed in and smooth.
- Pour the mixture over the popcorn, sprinkle with sea salt and stir to combine.
- Form into balls. Be careful as the popcorn mixture will be hot but you need to form the balls right away for them to stick together. Lay the balls on a sheet of wax paper to cool before placing into cellophane bags.
- You can also lay the loose popcorn out onto waxed paper to cool without shaping into balls.
Makes 12 popcorn balls.
Serving size 1 popcorn ball.