Pancetta Wrapped Stuffed DatesFeb 25 2011 by
The first time I ever had dates was at this fabulous tapas restaurant in Naperville, IL that was close to were we lived. We used to go there frequently before we started eating healthy and one night they were featuring their bacon wrapped dates. The waiter brought out one for each of us to try. I was very hesitant to try them. I did not like dates – or so I thought! But one bite and I was hooked! The bacon and dates worked together so well. They had drizzled a bit of honey on top and it was too die for! This recipe is similar to the dates I had but I opted to stuff them first with some tangy goat cheese. Let’s just say they were a HUGH hit and I’m not even sure how you would store the leftovers since we didn’t have any!
- 12 medjool dates
- 3 ounces goat cheese
- 3 ounces (12 slices) pancetta or proscuitto
- honey or coconut nectar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Slice dates lengthwise to remove pit and create and opening for the cheese.
- Stuff date with goat cheese.
- Lay a slice of pancetta on a plate and fold lengthwise in half. Place the stuffed date at the bottom of the strip and roll the date up.
- Place the rolled up date on a baking sheet. (I line my with non stick foil for easy clean up.)
- Bake the dates in the oven for about 5-6 six minutes.
- Drizzle with a bit of honey and ENJOY! (I opted not to use the honey and they were delicious!)
Makes 12 servings.
Serving size 1 date.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 102, Cal. from Fat: 20.5, Total Fat: 2g, Sat. Fat: 1g, Carbs: 18g, Fiber: 2g, Sugars: 16g, Protein: 3.5g, Sodium: 168mg, Chol: 5.5mg
We did not have any leftovers but you can store them in the fridge (wrap in foil or store in a plastic bag) for a day or two. Reheat in the oven for best results.