Watermelon FizzMay 30 2012 by
Memorial Day is one of my favorite holidays – it’s second only to Halloween. I love the super long weekend and I take full advantage of that extra day. Grilling, afternoons at the beach and of course sitting outside enjoying a cool and refreshing drink in the evening. With Memorial Day being the unofficial start of summer, there is nothing more summer like than watermelon. My whole family loved this sweet, fizzy drink. We went the non-alcoholic route but this would have been delicious with some sparkling white wine. The perfect drink to kick off the summer season. Enjoy!
- 2 cups diced watermelon
- 1 cup strawberries, tops removed
- 1 cup diced pineapple
- 16 ounces sparkling water (for an adult option sub with sparkling white wine)
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice
- Add the fruit to a food processor or blender and process until smooth. You can play around with the flavor here and make it sweeter by adding more pineapple or give it a bit more strawberry flavor by adding additional strawberries.
- Add the lemon juice and pulse once more to combine.
- At this point you can pour the juice through a strainer or leave it as is for a thicker consistency. We preferred the thicker consistency.
- Pour the juice into 4 glass cups and top with the sparkling water or wine. Pour slowly, the sparkling water will fizz when you pour it.
- Garnish with a slice of watermelon if desired and enjoy!
Makes 4 servings.
Serving size 1 drink.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 55, Cal. from Fat: 2.5, Total Fat: 0g, Sat. Fat: 0g, Carbs: 13.5g, Fiber: 1.5g, Sugars: 10g, Protein: 1g, Sodium: 1.5mg, Chol: 0mg
Once the sparkling water is added to the fruit juice it will start to lose it’s fizz over time. It’s best to keep the fruit juice and sparkling water separate until ready to serve. The juice will keep in the fridge for up to 1 week.