Vegan GravyNov 20 2011 by
Even before we switched to a plant based diet, Turkey was not the item I looked forward to most for Thanksgiving dinner. It was ‘Mashed Potato Volcanoes’. What? You’ve never heard of them? I don’t remember who in my family invented this little tradition but my cousin and I always had a little competition to see who could make the biggest volcano. You start with a big ole’ spoonful of mashed potatoes and you form it into a mountain. Then you make a hole in the top of the mountain, this is where you put the corn. Next you take the gravy and pour it onto your volcano – VOLIA! – Mashed Potato Volcanoes! Ah, the memories! I’ve never gone a Thanksgiving without my volcanoes and I’m not about to stop just because we don’t eat meat. Finding a delicious vegan gravy was on the top of my list this Thanksgiving. Does this taste just like the usual turkey gravy you have at Thanksgiving? No, but I loved the taste of it and it was FABULOUS on top of my volcanoes. If you need a vegan/vegetarian or gluten free gravy for your Thanksgiving dinner I highly recommend you give this a try. So, someone please tell me I’m not the only grown adult out there making volcanoes out of their food?
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp blackstrap molasses
- 1 tbsp coconut nectar or raw honey
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp low sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 2 tbsp Garlic Gold Oil or olive oil
- In a blender or food processor combine all ingredients and puree until smooth.
- In a medium pot on high heat, add gravy and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to low and stir frequently to thicken.
- Remove from heat and serve.
Makes about 2 cups.
Serving size 1/4 cup.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 82.5, Cal. from Fat: 44, Total Fat: 5g, Sat. Fat: .5g, Carbs: 8g, Fiber: 1g, Sugars: 5g, Protein: 2.5g, Sodium: 98.5mg, Chol: 0mg
Leftover gravy can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.