Toasted Cashew ChickenDec 23 2010 by
One of my favorite Asian inspired dishes is Cashew Chicken. I could probably eat this just about everyday. While it’s convenient to call up your local take out joint and pick up a hot dinner, I’d rather make it myself at home with quality ingredients that not only taste good but are good for me. The dish is easy to throw together and the leftovers are perfect for lunch the next day.
- 4 skinless, boneless, chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup low sodium tamari or soy sauce (for a gluten free dish use a gluten free sauce)
- 2 tbsp brown rice syrup or coconut nectar
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 1 1/2 cups roughly chopped onions (about 1 large onion or 2 small onions)
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chopped mushrooms (optional)
- 1-2 tsp fresh ginger, minced (optional)
- Start by marinating the chicken. Place the cubed chicken in a medium sized bowl or plastic bag. Add sesame oil, tamari, chili powder, red pepper flakes, brown rice syrup and ginger (if using). Place in the fridge and let marinate for at least 30 minutes – the longer the better.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet on medium high heat. Add the cashews and stir frequently until nicely browned on all sides.
- Transfer the toasted cashews to a bowl and using a slotted spoon remove the chicken from the marinade and place in the skillet. Saute the chicken pieces until cooked through, remove from the pan and set aside.
- Place the extra marinade in the skillet and simmer for several minutes (to kill any bacteria from the meat). Add the onions and mushrooms (if using) to the skillet and saute on high heat for several minutes.
- Combine chicken, mushrooms, onions and cashews. Serve over rice, noodles or even napa cabbage and top with green onions.
Makes 6 servings.
Serving size approximately 1 1/2 cups.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 415.5, Cal. from Fat: 239, Total Fat: 26.5g, Sat. Fat: 4g, Carbs: 22.5g, Fiber: 2.5g, Sugars: 5.5g, Protein: 24.5g, Sodium: 536mg, Chol: 46.5mg
This recipe makes for excellent leftovers! Just place the leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge and use within 3 days.