Throwback Thursday: Loaded Veggie Salad with Sweet Italian DressingApr 03 2014 by
Do you ever have those weeks where you feel like you’re running around from one thing to another and the next minute it’s bedtime and you’re beyond exhausted? Yeah, me too. Weeks like that make it hard for me to get in healthy and delicious meals so I like to throw together simple dishes that I know will fill me up and give me the energy I need to make it through the day. This salad involves some chopping (you can always use a hand chopper to speed the process along if needed) so I like to get everything prepped and ready to go ahead of time, then I can quickly throw everything together in minutes. It’s perfect for lunch and for dinner I will sometimes switch out the pasta for a bit of cooked quinoa for a higher protein meal.
For the Loaded Veggie Salad:
- 2 cup chopped salad greens
- 1 cup chopped red cabbage
- 1/2 cup finely diced green onion
- 1/2 cup finely diced carrot
- 1/4 cup finely diced red, yellow or orange pepper
- 1 cup cooked pasta of your choice
- 1/2 cup crushed Smokey Bacon-y Almonds
For the Sweet Italian Dressing:
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp coconut cyrstals
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp poppy seed
- 1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Place all the ingredients for the dressing in a blender and process until smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl gently toss together the salad ingredients. Drizzle with the dressing and toss one last time until evenly coated.
Makes 3-4 servings.
It’s best to serve only the amount of salad that will be eaten right away. Leftover salad ingredients should be stored separately from the dressing and only mixed together when ready to serve.