Thai Soy and Nut PattiesDec 23 2011 by
We all have lots of burger recipes and why not? They are the perfect little package of yummy goodness. There are so many delicious combinations of ingredients that I never get bored making and eating them. Thai Soy and Nut Patties are one of my favorites with the spicy flavor of the Thai Chili Paste and the tanginess of the tamari roasted almonds all mixed up inside them. The outside is crispy and the inside soft and tasty. Served with Coconut Chili Sauce and each bite gets that extra flavorful creamy dip before being devoured.
- 1 cup dry soy beans (or 2 cups canned beans)
- 1/2 cup tamari roasted almonds (or regular almonds or peanuts)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1-4 tbsp Thai Chili Paste (start with 1 tbsp and add more according to your heat preference)
- 1/3 cup quick cooking oats (if you follow a gluten free diet make sure to use a gluten free oat)
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tsp sea salt or to taste
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 cup Coconut Chili Sauce
- Soak the soy beans in water overnight. Rinse and drain.
- Place the beans in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for up to 3 hours or until tender. Rinse and drain.
- In a small cup or bowl combine the flax seed and water. Set aside.
- Place the beans, almonds, onion, carrot and Thai Chili Sauce into a food processor. Process until roughly chopped, about 2 minutes.
- Spoon the mixture into a bowl and add the oats, the flax mixture and salt. Stir to combine.
- Shape the mixture into 8 even sized patties.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the patties over medium-low heat until the outside is browned and crispy and the inside is heated through. This may take about 8-10 minutes on each side. It’s best to keep the heat low and cook slowly to get a good crispy outside texture.
- Serve each patty topped with 2 tbsp Coconut Chili Sauce or on the side for dipping.
Makes 8 patties.
Serving size 1 patty.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 213, Cal. from Fat: 111, Total Fat: 12.5g, Sat. Fat: 1g, Carbs: 16g, Fiber: 6g, Sugars: 5g, Protein: 12g, Sodium: 276mg, Chol: 0mg
Wrap leftover patties in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.