Taco SaladMar 02 2011 by
I love the texture of this taco filling. The bulgur gives it a good meaty bulk without actually using meat. The chili sauce bumps up the flavor and adds moistness. This salad is really fun to serve as a ‘salad bar’ when entertaining. Just put out bowls of different shredded greens or lettuces, toppings, cheeses, and chips and have each guest make their own salad. Combine yogurt and some of the chili sauce for a great dressing. You can use this filling for regular tacos too.
- 1/2 – 1 cup Sweet Heat Chili Sauce
- 1 cup bulgur
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (spanish if you have it)
- 1 medium yellow or white onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) vegetarian refried beans
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3 cups organic corn tortilla chips
- 3 cups shredded lettuce or greens of your choice
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 green or orange bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup pitted and sliced black olives
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (for a vegan option use Daiya cheese)
- 1/4 cup yogurt (omit for a vegan version)
- Cook bulgur according to package directions.
- Warm the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook about 2 minutes more or until the onion is tender.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in the beans, cumin, cooked bulgur and 1/2 cup chili sauce (or more according to taste, reserving about 2 tbsp for the dressing).
- Cook about 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Mix yogurt and 2 tbsp chili sauce for the dressing.
- To serve, arrange a layer of 1/4 the tortilla chips on a plate. Top each with a layer of lettuce, taco filling, tomato, avocado, pepper, olives, cheese and dressing (omit dressing for vegan option).
Makes 6 servings.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 357, Cal. from Fat: 168.5, Total Fat: 19g, Sat. Fat: 5.5g, Carbs: 39g, Fiber: 8g, Sugars: 4.5g, Protein: 11.5g, Sodium: 514mg, Chol: 20mg
This taco mixture is excellent in traditional tacos. You can also use it for a filling in Naked Quesadillas.