Sweet Potato and Squash CasseroleNov 17 2011 by
I don’t want to offend anyone’s holiday traditions but I have never understood sweet potato casserole as a side dish. Maybe as a dessert but how can anything that sweet be a side dish? I do love sweet potatoes so I don’t want to leave them out of the festivities so I made this toned down version of the classic casserole which I think is even better. The crumble crust adds texture to the soft creaminess of the filling and a hint of cayenne cuts down the sweetness without over powering the other flavors.
- 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes (1-2 large sweet potatoes, the orange flesh kind sometimes called yams)
- 2 cups squash puree, acorn, butternut or pretty much any hard winter squash will work. *See notes*
- 16 ounces organic silken tofu
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp sea salt or to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted
- 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 2-3 tbsp maple sugar
- 2 tbsp organic raw coconut oil
- oil for baking dish
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a 1 1/2 – 2 qt baking dish.
- Place the pecans, flour, and maple sugar into a food processor. Process until you have coarse crumbles. Add the coconut oil and pulse until combined. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the sweet potatoes, squash, tofu, maple syrup, salt, 1 tsp cinnamon, cayenne and coriander into the food processor. Process until smooth.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish.
- Top with the nut mixture.
- Bake for 50 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve while hot.
Makes 8 servings.
Serving size approximately 3/4 cup.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 193, Cal. from Fat: 83, Total Fat: 9g, Sat. Fat: 3.6g, Carbs: 27g, Fiber: 4g, Sugars: 12.5g, Protein: 5g, Sodium: 255mg, Chol: 0mg
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. The topping will get a little soggy but will still taste great.
I like to use roasted squash that I puree myself. You can bake the squash and the sweet potatoes at the same time and then towards the end you can even toast the pecans in the oven too.