Sweet and Saucy Teriyaki Stir FryJun 19 2012 by
You need to make this dish! Aside from the powerhouse of nutrients it packs, there is the sweet and saucy teriyaki sauce that is so good you could eat it with a spoon! While my husband tolerates hummus, he’s never been a fan of chickpeas in any other form. Yet after tasting this dish he’s changed his tune. The key is to marinate the chickpeas for a few hours (overnight is best). They almost get a little caramelized while cooking and make for a super filling meal. This is definitely the most delicious stir fry I’ve ever had. Enjoy!
For the teriyaki marinade:
- 1/4 cup reduced sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1/2 cup diced fresh pineapple (or 1/4 cup pineapple juice)
- 1 tbsp brown rice vinegar
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil (regular sesame oil will work too)
- 1/2 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp minced garlic
For the stir fry:
- 1 can (15 ounces) or 1 3/4 cup cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced sugar snap peas
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup chopped pineapple pieces
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts, almonds or cashews (optional but so yummy)
- Cooked rice, noodles or salad greens
- Add all the ingredients for the marinade to a blender and process until smooth.
- In a large bowl add the chickpeas and pour the marinade over top. Stir to combine and place in the fridge for several hours or overnight.
- Heat a large non stick skillet over medium high heat and using a slotted spoon add the marinated chickpeas to the pan. (Keep the reserved marinade on hand)
- Stirring frequently cook the chickpeas for 2-3 minutes. Add the broccoli, carrots and peas. Add the marinade to the pan and stir until well coated. Cover and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the pineapple and cook, uncovered, for an additional minute.
- Serve over rice, noodles or salad greens and garnish with roasted nuts if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 215, Cal. from Fat: 42, Total Fat: 4.5g, Sat. Fat: .5g, Carbs: 32.5g, Fiber: 7.5g, Sugars: 7.5g, Protein: 9g, Sodium: 740mg, Chol: 0mg
Leftover stir fry can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.