Spicy Red Lentil DipOct 05 2011 by
There is a lot to be learned from watching a 4 and 5 year old play together. For instance, did you know that if you want a toy that another person has that the best way to get the toy is not by asking for it or attempting to share?! Nope! Seems the preferred method is finding a toy of your own and pretending that it is the coolest thing ever and acting like the original toy doesn’t exist. Amazingly this method has like a 99% rate of return for the original toy.
I may or may not have acted like a 4 and 5 year old this week…
Long story short, my hummus hating husband discovered that he actually loved the hummus like dressing from my Chopped Salad with Creamy Vinaigrette Dressing.
Is it wrong that I didn’t want to share? Is it wrong that I came up with another dressing/dip that I hoped he would like better so that the creamy delicious dressing would all be mine again?
Kids are really smart little creatures… I hope you like this dip as much as my hubby did.
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro or parsley
- 1/2 a large onion, finely chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 tbsp dried mustard
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp curry
- 1/2 a can (14.5 ounces) no salt added diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tbsp raw honey or coconut nectar
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon or lime juice
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Begin by preparing your lentils. Rinse well under running water, then place them in a bowl, cover with 1 1/2 cups water and soak for 30 minutes.
- In a large soup pot add the oil and heat on medium. Add the onion, garlic and ginger. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent. Add the coriander, cumin, turmeric, paprika, and curry. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, for about 3 minutes.
- Add the lentils and their soaking water, the tomatoes, honey, sea salt and pepper and stir well. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes, until the lentils are fully cooked.
- Stir in the lemon or lime juice and serve hot or cold.
Makes approxiamely 3 cups.
Serving size 1/4 cup.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 49, Cal. from Fat: 20, Total Fat: 2g, Sat. Fat: 0g, Carbs: 5.5g, Fiber: 1.5g, Sugars: 2g, Protein: 1.5g, Sodium: 1mg, Chol: 0mg
This dip/spread is perfect for dipping veggies or Baked Pita Chips in or using in a sandwich. I actually put some on my salad and it was delicious!
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week.