Spicy Peanut PastaMar 05 2012 by
Chicken with Peanut Sauce. It’s a dish my mom (Kristy) created a long time ago that instantly became a favorite of mine. Anytime a special occasion came about I would beg her to make it for me. It’s been a long time since I’ve had that dish and this week I suddenly had an intense craving for it. Her original recipe calls for using chicken broth in the sauce but I had an open can of coconut milk in my fridge from my Crispy Sesame Green Bean Fries so I substituted with that and I loved the results. The creamy peanut butter sauce mixed with the spaghetti and slight crunch from the carrot was just as wonderful as I remember. It’s nice to have my old favorite back!
- 6 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup lite coconut milk
- 3 tbsp brown rice vinegar
- 4 tbsp reduced sodium tamari or soy sauce (if you follow a gluten free diet make sure to use a gluten free sauce)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1/8 – 1/4 tsp red chili flakes (you can add or subtract the amount depending on how hot you like your food)
- 10 ounces spaghetti of your choice, cooked (I used Jovial brand Brown Rice Spaghetti)
- 1 cup julienned carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- Combine the first 7 ingredients in a large bowl and stir well until thoroughly combined. It helps to have the peanut butter slightly warm so that it mixes in better.
- Add the spaghetti, carrots and green onions to the sauce and gently toss until evenly coated.
- Serve immediately or chill in the fridge and serve cold. This dish is delicious served either way.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 194, Cal. from Fat: 104, Total Fat: 12g, Sat. Fat: 2.5g, Carbs: 18g, Fiber: 5.5g, Sugars: 2g, Protein: 7g, Sodium: 599.5mg, Chol: 0mg
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. The pasta in this dish will absorb the sauce the longer it sits. It’s best to have some extra sauce for any leftovers that you have.