Spicy Lentils and GreensMar 28 2012 by
So, I’m still in that new love stage with Earthbound Farms Organic Mixed Baby Kale and Organic Power Greens. I’ve been using them all week in smoothies and salads. This weekend I was in the process of making one of my favorite dishes Spicy Lentils and Peppers and thought how good it would be with the addition of some greens. I used the Organic Power Greens and wow, what a delicious and nutritious boost to an already tasty dish. This dish is now super nutritious and really versatile as a side dish or a main dish served over rice to make a complete protein combination. It’s so good that I renamed this recipe Spicy Lentils and Greens.
- 1 cup cooked black beluga or green lentils
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut in half lengthwise, stem, seeds and ribs removed and thinly sliced
- 1-2 chili peppers (jalapeño, serrano, or fresno depending on your heat preference), cut in half lengthwise, stem, seeds and ribs removed and thinly sliced
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 3 cups Earthbound Farms Organic Power Greens
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- In a large skillet heat the oil on medium-high heat. Add the onions. Saute until starting to soften, about 3-4 minutes and then add the garlic. Saute another minute.
- Add the peppers and tomatoes and continue to cook until soft about 4-5 minutes. Season with the coriander, sea salt and black pepper.
- Add the greens and lemon juice and cook until the greens are wilted. Stir in the lentils.
- Serve garnished with the lemon zest.
Makes about 4 cups.
Serving size 1 cup.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 160, Cal. from Fat: 64, Total Fat: 7g, Sat. Fat: 1g, Carbs: 19g, Fiber: 6g, Sugars: 4g, Protein: 6.5g, Sodium: 522mg, Chol: 0mg
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.