Spiced Pumpkin GranolaDec 16 2011 by
I love granola. One of my favorite snacks is our No Bake Blueberry Granola Bars. I actually like to give these out as gifts throughout the year. During the holidays though I like to make a more seasonal granola. The smells that will waft out from your oven while this granola is cooking is divine. As good as the smells are the taste is even better! I like to place the granola in a decorative tins or even cellophane bags and give them out as holiday gifts. This recipe makes a good amount of granola, which means you can give the gift of granola to others and to yourself!
- 4 cups rolled oats (if you follow a gluten free diet make sure to use a gluten free oat)
- 1/2 can (15 ounces) pumpkin (not canned pumpkin pie)
- 1 cup unsalted cashews, whole or roughly chopped, your choice
- heaping 1/3 cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom (omit if you don’t have any)
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup, raw honey or coconut nectar
- 1/2 cup raw coconut crystals
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Line a large baking sheets with parchment paper, silicone baking mats or non stick foil.
- In a large bowl mix together the oats, cashews and pumpkin seeds. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan add the coconut oil. Once the oil has completely melted add the pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, nutmeg, maple syrup and coconut crystals. Remove from heat and mix until completely combined.
- Spread the granola evenly over the baking sheet. Press it down evenly with a wooden spoon or your hands.
- Bake for 45 minutes to an hour. Break the granola up and stir it around once or twice while it cooks. The granola will crisp up once it cools so don’t worry if your granola is still a little wet.
- Allow to cool slightly, then mix in the dried cranberries.
Makes approximately 7 cups.
Serving size 1/2 cup.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 308, Cal. from Fat: 133, Total Fat: 15g, Sat. Fat: 8.5g, Carbs: 38.5g, Fiber: 4g, Sugars: 10g, Protein: 6g, Sodium: 12.5mg, Chol: 0mg
You can store in an airtight container at room temperature for several weeks or place in the refrigerator or freezer for longer term storage.