Southwestern Mini SlidersMar 20 2012 by
One of my families favorite dinners is ‘burgers‘ and ‘fries‘. My kids normally eat their burgers without a bun since they can’t really get a burger plus toppings and a bun in their little mouths. Last week at dinner my daughter told us that she’s a ‘big girl’ and wants to eat a burger like Mommy and Daddy do. In general, it’s best not to argue with her once she’s set her mind to something – I don’t know where she gets that from! Since Keegan likes all things miniature I thought it would be fun to make mini sliders for her. My family and I had so much fun eating these. They were the perfect size for my kids. Luckily I made a double batch because the kids have asked for the ‘little burgers’ every night.
This recipe features Garlic Gold Southwest Nuggets and we’re giving you a chance to win some, plus 2 of their other amazing products – Herbs de Provence Nuggets and Red Wine Vinaigrette Dressing. Click here for your chance to win all 3 amazing products!
- heaping 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 can (15 ounces) no salt added black beans
- 1/2 small red onion, finely diced
- 2 tbsp chopped green chilies
- 1/2 cup corn (if frozen, thaw first)
- 5-6 tbsp Garlic Gold Southwest Nuggets
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup crushed tortilla chips of your choice
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 1-2 tbsp hot sauce (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with non stick foil or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl add the black beans and gently mash with a fork.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except the tortilla chips, to the mashed black beans and mix throughly to combine.
- Add in 1/4 cup of the tortilla chips at a time adding in more as needed until your burger mixture forms a firm ball.
- Using the palms of your hands, roll 2-3 tbsp of burger mixture into a ball and then press down gently to form a small patty. Place the patty on the baking sheet and repeat with the remaining bean mixture.
- Place the burger patties in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Flip the burgers over halfway through cooking.
- Place each burger on a mini hamburger bun and top with your favorite toppings.
Makes 16-18 mini sliders.
Serving size 2 mini sliders.
Nutritional info based on the mini sliders only. Does not take into account buns or toppings.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 124, Cal. from Fat: 28.5, Total Fat: 3g, Sat. Fat: 0g, Carbs: 19.5g, Fiber: 4g, Sugars: .5g, Protein: 4.5g, Sodium: 90mg, Chol: 0mg
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
I like using the leftovers as a fun topping for my salads. Simply crumble the burgers over your favorite salad greens, add a little salsa and a few slices of avocado and you have a delicious Southwest Salad!
These can be heated on the grill. Either wrap in foil or place them on a flat sheet of foil directly on the grill and cook until heated all the way through.