Smoky Tempeh SandwichApr 08 2013 by
This sandwich might just be my newest obsession. I’ve always been a fan of tempeh but this is downright amazing! I’ve been pairing the smoky tempeh slices with all sorts of yummy veggies like spinach, avocado, sprouts, cucumber, red pepper and onion. One of my favorite versions is adding a slather of Sun Dried Tomato Pesto and piling on the veggies – YUM! No matter how you top it, this healthy and delicious sandwich is sure to make meal time taste a whole lot better!
For the Smoky Tempeh:
- 2 eight ounce packages organic tempeh, cut lengthwise into 1/8 inch slices (a pizza cutter works great for slicing the tempeh)
- 1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce or tamari (gluten free if needed)
- 3 tbsp grade B maple syrup
- dash of liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp neutral oil
For the Sandwich:
- 2 slices of your favorite bread, toasted if desired
- toppings of your choice (lettuce, avocado, spinach, onion, tomato, sprouts, cucumber, etc)
- 1 tbsp or so of your favorite sauce (I used some Ranch Dressing but Dijon mustard, some Pumpkin Seed Pesto or my favorite – Sun Dried Tomato Pesto would be great)
- In a small bowl whisk together the soy sauce, maple syrup, liquid smoke, nutritional yeast, water, onion powder and garlic powder. Set aside the marinade.
- In a large shallow dish lay the tempeh slices out in a single layer (if you need to overlap make sure to turn the slices every so often so that they can all marinade). Pour the marinade over the tempeh and let marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium high heat. Remove the tempeh slices from the marinade and place in the sauté pan making sure not to overlap the pieces (work in batches if needed). Discard remaining marinade.
- Cook the tempeh slices for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until they are nicely browned and slightly crispy.
- Remove the cooked tempeh from the pan and let cool on a plate lined with a couple of sheets of paper towel.
- To assemble the sandwich, add a couple of pieces of smoky tempeh to a slice of bread along with your favorite toppings and a tbsp or so of sauce. Top with another piece of bread and enjoy!
Makes enough smoky tempeh for about 4 sandwiches.
Leftover smoky tempeh can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
My husband is a big fan of baked potatoes and he loves crumbling up the leftover smoky tempeh slices and topping his baked potato with them. They are also great for adding to your salad as faux bacon bits!