Slow Cooker Shrimp JambalayaSep 28 2011 by
I used to work at a company that took it’s potlucks as seriously as it did it’s business. We made up more excuses to have a potluck than Hallmark has holidays or Heinz has varieties or….well, you get the picture. My Shrimp Jambalaya was often requested and that was ok with me because no one had to know how easy it was to make. It cooked itself in the slow cooker and I had only one pot to deal with cleaning up after it was all done. Now that’s as good a reason to have a potluck as any. Want to join in too?
- 2 ounces pancetta, finely sliced (omit for a vegetarian meal)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 can (28 ounces) no salt added diced tomatoes
- 4 tbsp no salt added tomato paste
- 3-4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced (to taste)
- 2 tbsp parsley, minced
- pinch of cloves
- 1 tsp sea salt or to taste
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 12 – 16 ounces fresh or frozen shrimp, shelled and deveined
- lemon wedges (optional)
- If you have time you can brown the pancetta in a skillet for 1-2 minutes. Add the onions, celery, green pepper and garlic and saute until tender about 4-5 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients (start with 3 cups of broth) except the shrimp and cook on low 4-8 hours.
- If you don’t have time you can just add all of the ingredients (start with 3 cups of broth) except the shrimp into the slow cooker and cook on low 4-8 hours. Adjust cooking time according to your specific manufacturers instructions. I found that my old model slow cooker cooks at a lower temperature and needs more time but my newer one cooks much faster and was done in 4:30 hours. You will know when it’s done when the rice is tender and the liquid is mostly absorbed. Add additional chicken broth if it seems too dry before the rice is done.
- An hour before serving turn your cooker to high and add the shrimp. Put the lid back on and cook until the shrimp are pink.
- Spoon into bowls and serve with a lemon wedge to squeeze over the Jambalaya.
Makes 8 cups.
Serving size 1 cup.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 158, Cal. from Fat: 31, Total Fat: 3g, Sat. Fat: .5g, Carbs: 17g, Fiber: 3g, Sugars: 6g, Protein: 14g, Sodium: 486mg, Chol: 69.5mg
Store leftovers in an airtight container for 1-2 days.