Slow Cooker LasagnaOct 03 2011 by
My in-laws recently flew over from South Africa and will be spending the next few months visiting with us. To help make their stay a little easier I’ve been making some meals that freeze well so that they can pop dinner in the microwave and have a meal without needing to cook anything. I recently got a new slow cooker that can brown, saute, steam and slow cook all in one. I thought this recipe would be prefect for a test drive. I set the slow cooker to brown and was able to brown the meat in the slow cooker which means I didn’t have to dirty a separate pan for this meal! I did have to remove the sauce once it was done cooking and place it in another container. But even so, I can’t say enough good things about this slow cooker. While on the pricey side it is WAY worth the cost! Next up I’m going to try roasting veggies in it. Hopefully they’ll taste as good as my in-laws said the lasagna tasted!
- 1 pound organic grass fed lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jar (24 ounces) no salt added tomato sauce
- 1 jar (6-8 ounces) no salt added tomato paste
- 1 container (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- pinch ground pepper
- 6 uncooked whole grain lasagna noodles (you do not need no-boil noodles)
- In a large skillet brown the ground beef and then drain. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add the tomato sauce and paste along with the parsley, onion, garlic powder, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Mix together the ricotta, 1 1/2 cups mozzarella and 2 tbsp parmesan in a large bowl.
- Pour 1 cup of sauce into a 4 to 6 quart sized slow cooker. Place half of the noodles and half of the ricotta mixture on top of the sauce. Cover with 2 cups meat sauce. Add another layer of noodles (If the noodles don’t fit exactly break them to fit), cheese mixture and meat sauce. Top with remaining mozzarella and parmesan.
- Cook on low for 4 to 5 hours or until noodles are soft.
- Do not overcook and don’t try to speed up the process by cooking it on high.
- Optional step – remove slow cooker bowl and place under your broiler on high for 3-5 minutes or until the cheese is crispy and golden brown on top.
Makes 10 servings.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 327, Cal. from Fat: 146.5, Total Fat: 18g, Sat. Fat: 7.5g, Carbs: 20.5g, Fiber: 2g, Sugars: 5.5g, Protein: 22.5g, Sodium: 128.5mg, Chol: 52mg
You can store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can also freezer individual servings in freezer safe containers in the freezer for up to 6 months.