Slow Cooker Hearty Beef StewOct 14 2010 by
My list of reasons why I LOVE autumn are numerous to say the least! Making soups and stews are right near the top. I immediately fell in love with this stew at first bite! It’s so flavorful and then you get to a little surprise – a crisp water chestnut and it brings such a great texture to this stew. As an added bonus this stew freezes extremely well! I love that I can easily pop a container into the microwave for an easy fall lunch or super quick dinner. Enjoy!
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 3 lbs lean, boneless grass fed beef sirloin, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium sweet onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 medium celery stalks, trimmed and chopped
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1 1/2 cups frozen green peas
- 1 cup sliced water chestnuts
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 3 cups low sodium beef or vegetable stock
- olive oil
- Start by trimming away any fat that is on your beef. Cut into 1 inch thick cubes.
- In a large Ziploc bag, place flour, sea salt, pepper, oregano, basil, garlic powder and onion powder. Seal bag and mix ingredients. Now add your beef and shake to coat each piece of meat. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
- Lightly mist a large skillet with olive oil and set on medium heat. Remove meat cubes from flour mixture and place in skillet. Brown each side of meat – about 1 minute each side. Depending on the size of your skillet you may need to brown the pieces in 2 or more batches.
- Once the meat is browned remove from skillet and place in your slow cooker.
- Add all remaining ingredients, gently mix and set slow cooker on high. Cover and cook for 6 hours.
Makes approximately 8 servings.
Each serving is 2 cups of stew.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 210, Cal. from Fat: 21, Total Fat: 2g, Sat. Fat: 1g, Carbs: 31g, Fiber: 5g, Sugars: 10g, Protein: 17g, Sodium: 200mg, Chol: 34mg
Leftover stew can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Stew can be frozen in freezer safe containers in the freezer for up to 6 months.
For a gluten free meal replace the whole wheat flour with a gluten free flour of your choice.