Slow Cooker Chicken Chow MeinNov 17 2010 by
My first food love will always be salads but I have a serious crush on Chinese food! I love Beef and Broccoli, Sweet and Sour Chicken, Toasted Cashew Chicken and Crispy Fried Rice. I also love my slow cooker – who doesn’t love a machine that cooks dinner for you?!!!! So the fact that this recipe combines chinese food with a slow cooker has my name written all over it. I wasn’t sure how this was going to turn out when I tried it but I couldn’t believe how tasty it is. It was SUPER easy to make and my whole family loved it.
- 4 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 cups cook chicken, shredded
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz bean sprouts
- 8 oz can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- Oriental Dressing
- Add all the ingredients (except the Oriental Dressing) to your slow cooker. Stir to evenly coat.
- Set the crock pot to low and cook for 5 to 6 hours.
- Serve over brown rice, quiona or noodles and top with Oriental Dressing.
Makes approximately 6 servings.
Serving size about 1 cup.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 90, Cal. from Fat: 3, Total Fat: 1g, Sat. Fat: 0g, Carbs: 8.5g, Fiber: 2.5g, Sugars: 3.5g, Protein: 13g, Sodium: 120mg, Chol: 33mg
This dish freezes extremely well. I make enough rice ahead of time and portion out single servings of the rice and chow mein into tupperware containers. When freezing for future use I do not add any Oriental Dressing. Once I reheat the dish then I add the dressing.
For a gluten free meal make sure to use gluten free tamari or soy sauce.