Slow Cooker Arroz Con PolloSep 09 2011 by
It’s September and most schools have begun a new year of learning. Are you feeling the time crunch yet? Work, school, after school activities. When is there time to make a good healthy dinner? This recipe is made for a busy family. Everything goes in the slow cooker and is ready when you get home. You can make it as spicy or as lightly seasoned as you like. So, drive that car pool, cheer on your child at their soccer game, squeeze in time for your workout because you have dinner in the bag, or I should say slow cooker.
- 1 1/2 cups long grain brown rice
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green pepper, diced or cut into strips
- 1 red pepper, diced or cut into strips
- 4 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 quart low sodium chicken broth
- sea salt to taste
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 – 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs or a combination of both (if the breasts are large I like to butterfly them to make 2 thinner pieces)
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 lime, sliced into 6 thin wedges (optional)
- Plug your slow cooker in and set to high. Place the rice and oil in the pot and stir until all the rice is coated in oil. Let the rice heat while you prepare and chop the vegetables.
- In a saucepan heat the broth to a simmer and set aside. This step is optional.
- Add the wine to the rice in the crockpot and stir.
- Add the onions, garlic, peppers, tomatoes, and spices and stir.
- Add the warmed stock, stir and then arrange the chicken pieces evenly around the slow cooker.
- Cook on high 3-4 hours or low 5-6 hours depending on your slow cooker cooking times.
- Once most of the liquid has been absorbed and the chicken and rice are tender add in the peas and cook another few minutes until the peas are warm.
- Serve with a slice of lime if desired.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 331.5, Cal. from Fat: 47.5, Total Fat: 5g, Sat. Fat: 1g, Carbs: 34.5g, Fiber: 5g, Sugars: 5.5g, Protein: 33g, Sodium: 345.5mg, Chol: 68mg
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.