Single Serve Snack CakeJan 27 2012 by
Quite a few years back there used to be this boxed snack cake mix that came with a plastic baking pan and a cake mix that you just had to add water to right in the baking pan, microwave and “beep, beep, beep” 2 minutes later you had an instant single serving of cake. I hate to say it but I loved that cake. When I think of it now I shudder thinking of all the chemically processed ingredients that must have been in that cake mix and I don’t even want to think of what that plastic container was made of. Ignorance is certainly not bliss…it’s deadly!
One thing I do like about this idea is the single serving fast baking aspect. When you want a sweet snack and you need it quick before you eat something else that’s not so good for you it’s ready in a flash and there is only one serving so you don’t over indulge. Since it’s made with whole natural ingredients and it’s not too sweet or fatty it’s a great little trick to keep you in control of those sweet cravings.
- 1 tbsp unsweetened apricot preserves/jam (blueberry and plum are good too)
- 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup low fat unsweetened almond milk or other non-dairy milk
- 1/2 tbsp ground flax
- oil to grease baking dish
- Fresh fruit to garnish (optional)
- In a smal bowl mix together the milk and flax seed. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the apricot preserves.
- Add in all the other dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Grease a small microwave safe dish (I used a 7 ounce ramekin) and spoon in the dough.
- Microwave on high 1:45 -2 minutes or until the center is set.
- Dig in and eat while still warm.
Makes 1 single serving.
Nutrients per serving (nutrition info will vary depending on the fruit preserve you use.): Calories: 202, Cal. from Fat: 39, Total Fat: 4g, Sat. Fat: 0g, Carbs: 35g, Fiber: 5g, Sugars: 11g, Protein: 3g, Sodium: 280mg, Chol: 0mg
You really shouldn’t have any leftovers since this is a single serve cake.