Simple Beans and RiceJan 27 2011 by
There are so many ways to make beans and rice. Every area of the county seems to have their own take. Red beans or black beans, ham or sausage. Here is my vegetarian version . It’s a bit of a combination of several styles. First you make your sweet and smoky sauce and from there it’s just a matter of popping everything into the oven. The rice is baked along side the beans and mixed when ready to eat. I love beans and rice. You can top salad greens with it, add some crushed organic corn chips, wrap it in whole grain tortillas or my favorite spooned over Skillet Cornbread.
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) no salt added beans (kidney, aduki, pinto or black), rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) no salt added fire roasted diced tomatoes, or regular diced tomatoes
- 1 cup Sweet Heat Chili Sauce
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- Pour 1 cup of the Sweet Heat Chili Sauce into a dutch oven or other large oven safe pot.
- Add the beans, rice and diced tomatoes.
- Place the bean mixture in the oven and cook, covered for 45 minutes to an hour. Uncover and cook an additional 15-20 minutes or until the desired consistency is reached.
- Serve hot or cold.
Makes approximately 8 cups.
Serving size 1 cup.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 153, Cal. from Fat: 28, Total Fat: 4g, Sat. Fat: 0g, Carbs: 26g, Fiber: 5g, Sugars: 4g, Protein: 5g, Sodium: 38mg, Chol: 0mg
Store leftovers in airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.