Savory Roasted Broccoli with AlmondsApr 10 2012 by
While my kids don’t eat a vast array of green vegetables they will eat raw broccoli that has been drizzled with a vinegar/oil dressing. I made this dish for me, never intending to give it to my kids. While it isn’t spicy at all the savory Asian flavors are pronounced and I didn’t think it was all that kid friendly. It smells wonderful cooking in the oven and when I pulled it out Keegan asked if she could try a bite. I let her have a small piece and before I knew it she had finished it and was asking for another! Caleb of course had to try a piece as well and they both gave this dish 2 BIG thumbs up! Roasting the broccoli gives it a much more mellow flavor and the garlic ginger sauce adds a flavorful touch. I ended up using all the broccoli I had making this dish again the next night and apparently I’ll need to stock up on broccoli the next time I go to the grocery store!
- 1 large head of broccoli (about 2 cups)
- 1/4 cup roasted almonds, lightly crushed
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp Sweet Heat Chili Sauce
- 2 tbsp reduced sodium tamari or soy sauce (if you follow a gluten free diet make sure to use a gluten free sauce)
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil (regular sesame oil can be substitute but I highly recommend using toasted for a more intense flavor)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or non stick foil. Set aside.
- Wash the broccoli well and remove only the very end of the stem. Cut the entire head in half and then in half again. Continue until you have pieces with about 1 inch thick heads and longer stems. Place in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl add in the crushed almonds, garlic, ginger, Sweet Heat Chili Sauce, tamari and sesame oil. Whisk well until throughly combined. The dressing will be thicker than a normal salad dressing.
- Add the dressing to your broccoli and using your hands, massage the dressing into the broccoli making sure it is well coated.
- Transfer broccoli onto a baking sheet (be sure to include all the dressing ‘pieces’) and place in the oven.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the broccoli is browning around the edges.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
Makes 2 servings.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 272.5, Cal. from Fat: 200, Total Fat: 23g, Sat. Fat: 7.5g, Carbs: 12g, Fiber: 4g, Sugars: 3g, Protein: 6.5g, Sodium: 611mg, Chol: 0mg
This dish is best when served right away.