Sauerkraut SoupJul 31 2012 by
I don’t eat a lot of soup in the summer but I like this one because it’s light yet flavorful. The sauerkraut adds a ton of flavor and since it’s added at the end and not cooked it keeps it’s beneficial raw live probiotic cultures intact. Happy belly, happy tastebuds, happy you.
- 2 medium onions, sliced into thin half moons
- 2 portabello mushrooms, stems and gills removed, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups crushed or pureed tomatoes (I used Eden Organic Crushed Tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried majoram
- 2 tbsp celery leaves, minced (the tiny stalks with leaves at the inside of the celery)
- 1 tbsp parsley, minced
- 4 cups Simple Naked Sauerkraut
- In a large soup pot or dutch oven heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the onions and mushrooms and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the salt and garlic. Lower heat to medium and let cook another 15 minutes or so until the onions are very soft and browned.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the sauerkraut. Heat to a simmer, cover and let cook at least 15 minutes.
- When ready to serve spoon 1 cup of the soup into each bowl and place 1/2 cup of sauerkraut on top of the soup. Stir and enjoy.
Makes approximately 8 cups of soup before the sauerkraut is added.
Serving size 1 cup soup and 1/2 cup sauerkraut.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 132, Cal. from Fat: 35, Total Fat: 4g, Sat. Fat: .5g, Carbs: 19g, Fiber: 6g, Sugars: 6g, Protein: 7g, Sodium: 912mg, Chol: 0mg
The sauerkraut is added at the end and not heated to optimize the nutritional benefits of the raw live cultures.
If sodium consumption is a problem reduce the amount of sauerkraut per serving to 1/4 cup. The soup will still taste great and you will reduce the sodium by 361mg.
Store soup in an airtight container separate from the sauerkraut in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. When reheating, heat only the soup and add the sauerkraut just before serving.