Roasted Grape SaladJan 21 2012 by
Sometimes the simplest recipes have the most amazing results! I had this salad years ago at a 5 star restaurant in Chicago. I couldn’t believe such a basic salad would have so many flavors! The sweetness of the roasted grapes and ripe pears paired so well with the peppery arugula and I wanted to lick my plate to get every last drop of the roasted shallot dressing! You wouldn’t think such a simple salad could be so elegant but this is quite the impressive salad. I’m also on a mission to find every way possible to incorporate roasted grapes on ever meal I eat. They are that good folks!
- 3/4 pound seedless red grapes, stemmed
- 1/2 cup + 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, peeled
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp raw honey or coconut nectar (optional)
- 6 ounces arugula
- 1 ripe pear
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with non stick foil or parchment paper. Arrange the grapes in a single layer and drizzle 1 1/2 tsp of olive on top, toss to coat.
- Place the grapes in the oven and bake for about 2 1/2 hours or until they are shriveled and lightly caramelized.
- After the grapes have been cooking for an hour place the shallots in some heavy duty foil. Drizzle with 1/2 tsp oil and fully enclose the shallots in the foil, place on a small baking sheet and place in the oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- After the grapes are done cooking remove them from the baking sheet and reserve any of the remaining juices in a small bowl. Add the shallots (and their juices) along with the vinegar and remaining oil. Stir well to combine (taste the dressing and add a bit of honey if you want a sweeter dressing). You can also process in a blender for a smoother dressing.
- Quarter the pear and cut into thin slices. Set aside.
- Place the arugula on a large plate and top with roasted grapes and pears. Drizzle the dressing over top and garnish with some fresh black pepper if desired.
Makes 3 servings
Nutritional info not available at this time.
You can prepare almost all of this salad ahead of time. The roasted grapes can be stored in a airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days ahead of time. Make sure to bring them to room temperature before serving. You can also make the dressing before hand as well. Simply assemble the salad and serve!