Quinoa Pizza BakeApr 09 2012 by
In the last few weeks I’ve been going through bags of quinoa at an alarming rate. I can’t stop eating the Quinoa Lettuce Wraps! After my husband caught me in the kitchen a few days ago making another batch he told me I needed to seek help for my addiction! Ok, maybe I had gone a little overboard. Maybe it was time I started eating other foods for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Of course I still had the batch of quinoa that was cooking on the stove that would need to be used. I had planned on making pizza for dinner so I improvised a bit and came up with my newest addiction. Enjoy!
- 3 1/2 cups cooked quinoa (I used a 50/50 mixture of black and white quinoa but any variety will do)
- 14 ounces no salt added tomato paste
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup finely diced onions
- heaping 1/2 cup Homemade Breadcrumbs *see notes (if you follow a gluten free diet make sure to use gluten free bread when making your breadcrumbs)
- 2 tbsp Garlic Gold Oil or olive oil
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese + additional for topping, optional (I used Daiya Mozzarella Shreds)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine the tomato paste, garlic, onions, breadcrumbs and oil. Mix well.
- Add in the cooked quinoa and cheese, if using, and stir well until throughly mixed. Do a taste test and if necessary add a pinch of sea salt.
- Divide the mixture evenly between four 16 ounce ramekins or 1 large casserole dish and sprinkle with cheese if desired.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the cheese is golden brown or until the quinoa on top is golden and crispy.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.
Makes 4 main dish servings or 6-8 servings as a side dish.
Serving size 1 main dish serving.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 388.5, Cal. from Fat: 120.5, Total Fat: 14.5g, Sat. Fat: 1g, Carbs: 56g, Fiber: 9g, Sugars: 10g, Protein: 10g, Sodium: 824mg, Chol: 0mg
If you don’t have any Homemade Breadcrumbs on hand you can season your quinoa as follows:
- 1/4 cup store bought or plain homemade breadcrumbs (you can easily throw a piece of toast in a blender and pulse until you have crumbs)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/16 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/16 tsp onion powder
- 1/16 tsp garlic powder
Leftover quinoa bake can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
My son, who loves cheese, liked the quinoa pizza bake with the added cheese. My daughter and I preferred it without. My husband liked both ways. Unless you’re a cheese lover I would try it first without or divide the quinoa pizza in half and add cheese to only have of it and bake in 2 separate containers.