Quick and Easy GoulashApr 29 2011 by
In less than 3 weeks my family and I will be taking off on our cross country move to San Diego, CA. With cats, dogs and children along for the ride we decided to rent an RV to make the trip more comfortable. In preparing for the move I’ve been making a bunch of kid friendly meals that freeze and reheat really well for while we are on the road. This ‘goulash’ was a meal my mom made for me when I was a little girl and it’s perfect for freezing and reheating. And as an added bonus, my husband who swears he hates all food with tomato sauces LOVED this dish. In fact the extra that I saved to freeze and use for the trip was eaten later that night for dinner by him.
- 1 pound organic grass fed lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion, finely diced
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) no salt added tomato sauce
- 1 jar (6-8 ounces) no salt added tomato paste
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8-10 ounces whole grain pasta, cooked (I used Delallo Elbow Pasta)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- Homemade Breadcrumbs (optional topping)
- Heat a large non-stick pan on medium high heat. Brown the ground beef in the pan. After the beef is thoroughly cooked remove it with a slotted spoon to a bowl or other dish and cover to keep warm.
- Drain off any fat left in the pan, then add olive oil, onions and garlic and cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add back in the ground beef, tomato sauce, paste, oregano and salt. Stir well to combine. Reduce heat and let simmer on low for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove meat sauce from heat and add in cooked pasta and cheese. Stir well, serve and topped with some Homemade Breadcrumbs!
Makes approximately 8 cups.
Serving size about 1 cup.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 258.5, Cal. from Fat: 105, Total Fat: 12g, Sat. Fat: 4g, Carbs: 20.5g, Fiber: 2.5g, Sugars: 5.5g, Protein: 17.5g, Sodium: 305.5mg, Chol: 42mg
Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
You can also store the leftovers in single serve containers and place in the freezer for up to 6 months. Simply reheat in the microwave and enjoy a quick dinner in minutes!
For a vegan meal substitute the beef for firm tofu that has been crumbled. Skip step 1 and start with step 2. Add the tofu in step 3 and replace the parmesan cheese with Daiya Mozzarella cheese.