Purple Pepper Black Bean SaladAug 27 2012 by
Purple pepper, purple pepper, purple pepper! I like saying it as much as I like eating them. This last week my local grocery store was bursting with peppers- red, green, orange, yellow and of course, purple. I might have gone a little pepper crazy but I put them to good use! I had some limes that I needed to use up so I threw together this delicious pepper inspired salad. I put some on top of salad greens for lunch one day, later my husband and I enjoyed it as a dip with tortilla chips and the other night I used the last of the salad in quesadillas. I love a versatile dish . Oh, and don’t worry if you can’t find purple peppers, you can simply substitute with a red or green pepper. It just won’t be as fun to walk around your kitchen saying “purple pepper, purple pepper, purple pepper”.
- 1 can (15 ounces) Eden Foods no salt added black beans, drained or 1 3/4 cup cooked black beans
- 1/2 a yellow pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 an orange pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 a purple pepper, seeded and diced (red or green work well too)
- handful fresh cilantro, roughly chopped (for those that dislike cilantro you can use parsley but you’ll lose some of the mexican flavor)
- 1/2 cup sweet corn, if frozen, thaw first
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 2 green onions, roughly chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt to taste
- In a small bowl mix together the lime juice, zest, garlic and oil. Stir well and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the beans, peppers, cilantro, corn, green onions and jalapeño. Add in the dressing and stir well. Sprinkle with sea salt to taste.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving to let the flavors blend.
Makes approximately 3 cups.
Serving size 1/2 cup.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 112, Cal. from Fat: 28, Total Fat: 3g, Sat. Fat: 0g, Carbs: 17g, Fiber: 4.5g, Sugars: .5g, Protein: 5g, Sodium: 10.5mg, Chol: 0mg
Leftover salad can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.