Pumpkin Ice CreamSep 29 2011 by
“How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.” (Elizabeth Barrett Browning) Maybe I won’t just count the ways I love pumpkin but count the ways I like to eat pumpkin. No, that would definitely take too long. Well, anyway here’s another of my favorite pumpkin recipes. See the notes for a fun trick (or treat) to turn your ice cream into ice cream pie bites.
- 3 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut or 3 cups unsweetened almond milk (coconut milk makes a creamier texture and almond milk is more like sorbet)
- 3/4 cup raw honey or a combination of honey and maple syrup if you like maple flavor
- 2 tbsp organic cornstarch
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (no salt added)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- In a small bowl mix together the pumpkin puree, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. Set aside
- Mix honey, cornstarch and salt in a medium saucepan.
- Whisk in the milk and over medium heat, stirring frequently bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Simmer for 3 minutes stirring constantly, scraping the sides of the pan to prevent burning. Remove from the heat.
- Pour the pumpkin puree into the milk and whisk until well blended.
- Cover and let the mixture cool about an hour. Once cooled pour into a glass 13 x 9 pan (don’t worry if a skin forms on the top it will get stirred into the ice cream as it freezes).
- Place the pan into the freezer for 3-4 hours. Stir with a fork every 30 minutes or so to break up the edges that freeze faster than the middle. Freeze until the ice cream is a soft serve consistency.
- Scoop into bowls and serve.
Makes about 4 cups.
Servings size 1/2 cup
Nutrients per serving (made with coconut milk): Calories: 189, Cal. from Fat: 63, Total Fat: 7g, Sat. Fat: 5g, Carbs: 31.5g, Fiber: 1g, Sugars: 28g, Protein: .5g, Sodium: 52mg, Chol: 0mg
If not serving right away place the ice cream in the refrigerator 45 minutes to an hour before serving to thaw for a softer consistency. Stir well and serve.
For Pumpkin Ice Cream Pie Bites cut some Cinnamon Raisin Mochi into 2 inch squares and bake as directed. Fill the mochi with Pumpkin Ice Cream and enjoy.