Pumpkin Carrot CakeDec 01 2011 by
Carrot cake is one of my all time favorite desserts and pumpkin is my favorite, well…..everything. It was only natural that I put the two together and made Pumpkin Carrot Cake. Right? This cake is moist and spicy and everything carrot cake should be.
- 2 tbsp finely ground flax seed
- 1 tbsp tapioca starch
- 1 tbsp potato starch
- 2 1/4 tsp baking powder, divided
- 2 tsp neutral flavor oil plus a little to grease the baking pan
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 cup raw coconut crystals
- 4 tbsp maple sugar (you could use maple syrup if you can’t find the sugar)
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup unsweetened crushed pineapple
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp raw finely shredded coconut
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp raw coconut oil (melted)
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Homemade Whipped Cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 cake pan or a bundt pan.
- In a small bowl mix together the flax seed, tapioca starch, potato starch, 1/4 tsp baking powder, 2 tsp oil and the water. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, remaining 2 tsp baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. Stir to thoroughly mix.
- In a separate bowl mix the coconut crystals, maple sugar, carrots, pumpkin, pineapple, 1/4 cup shredded coconut, soy milk, vinegar, vanilla and coconut oil. Stir thoroughly to combine.
- Stir the flax seed mixture again and add it to the wet ingredients. Mix in well.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Beat well.
- Add in the walnuts and stir to combine.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake 35-40 minutes for the 9 x 13 pan or 50-55 minutes for the bundt pan.
- Remove from the oven and cool. If using the bundt pan remove the cake from the pan to a plate.
- Top with Homemade Whipped Cream (if using), sprinkle with the remaining shredded coconut and serve.
Makes approximately 12 servings.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 247, Cal. from Fat: 80, Total Fat: 9g, Sat. Fat: 3g, Carbs: 36g, Fiber: 5.5g, Sugars: 15.6g, Protein: 4.6g, Sodium: 364mg, Chol: 0mg
Store covered on the counter for 1-2 days then refrigerate any remaining cake in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.