Potato Salad with Tofu Mayo DressingMar 24 2011 by
I love potato salad. It makes me think of summer. You just can’t have a picnic or cookout without a big bowl of potato salad on the table. But really it’s good anytime. I just don’t make it that often because I think of all the mayo and eggs, i.e. fat and cholesterol, that go into it and that stops me cold. This yummy tofu mayo dressing and the elimination of half the egg yolks solves that problem. I can have my potato salad and feel good about it too. For a little variety try the curried mayo in the salad.
- 3 pounds potatoes (about 6 medium size), choose a waxy variety like a round white or a red bliss with a thin skin, cut into chunks
- 4 eggs, hard boiled, peeled and chopped (to reduce the fat and cholesterol remove 2 egg yolks before chopping)
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 red radishes, diced
- 3 green onions, diced
- 6 ounces organic soft silken tofu (please use organic to avoid GMO soy beans)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp raw honey or coconut nectar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika (regular is fine too)
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/8 tsp ginger (optional)
- 1/8 tsp corriander (optional)
- 1/8 tsp garlic (optional)
- 1 tsp curry (optional)
- 1/2 tsp tumeric (optional)
- Place the potatoes and 1 tsp salt in a large pot of water. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 10 – 15 minutes or until the potatoes are just tender when pierced with a fork. Drain the water from the potatoes, transfer to a large bowl and set aside to cool (if you don’t like the skins left on the potatoes peel them off when cooled).
- Combine the tofu, olive oil, honey, lemon juice, lemon zest, mustard, paprika and salt in a food processor until smooth.
- Add the egg, celery, radish and onion to the potatoes in the bowl. Pour in 1/2 – 3/4 of the mayo and gently combine. Add additional mayo and salt if needed.
- Chill before serving.
Makes 8 cups.
Serving size 1 cup.Nutrients per serving: Calories: 188.5, Cal. from Fat: 42.5, Total Fat: 4.5g, Sat. Fat: 1g, Carbs: 32.5g, Fiber: 3g, Sugars: 5.5g, Protein: 6.5g, Sodium: 100.5mg, Chol: 52.5mg
To make curry mayo add the 5 optional spices. This is not only good for potato salad but as a dressing for other salads as well.
Leftover salad can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.