Potato Reuben CasseroleApr 21 2011 by
This recipe is a combination of the flavors of a Reuben sandwich infused into scalloped potatoes. It might sound strange but it tastes delicious. It’s not a complicated recipe and once you get it assembled your work is done and you can sit back and enjoy the aroma of the tangy sauerkraut and the cheesy Gruyere wafting from the oven as it bakes.
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes, about 3 large potatoes
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil plus a little for coating the baking dish
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) sauerkraut, drained
- 12 ounces fully cooked sausage of your choice (I used Applegate Farms Organic Chicken and Apple Sausage), sliced
- 8 ounces gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 tbsp Thousand Island Dressing
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 2 tsp organic cornstarch
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 10 x 10 or approximate sized baking dish with olive oil.
- Place the rest of the olive oil into a nonstick skillet and heat on medium. Add onions and cook about 5 minutes or until the onions are tender.
- Remove from the heat and transfer the onions to a large bowl. Stir the sauerkraut and caraway seeds together with the onions.
- Pour the wine into the skillet and stir around to mix together any cooking liquid left from the onions. Add the Thousand Island dressing and stir together.
- Slice the potatoes very thin (a mandolin works best). Spread a layer of 1/3 of the potatoes on the bottom of the prepared baking dish, overlapping slightly. Top with half of the sauerkraut mixture and half the sliced sausage.
- In a medium bowl toss together the cheese and cornstarch.
- Pour half the wine mixture over the layers in the dish then spread half the cheese over the top.
- Add a second layer of potatoes (1/3) and the remaining sauerkraut and sausage.
- Pour the remaining wine mixture over the top.
- Arrange the remaining potatoes over the layers and spread the remaining cheese over the top.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake 50 minutes. Uncover and bake another 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork.
Makes 8 servings.
Serving size about 1 cup.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 377, Cal. from Fat: 158.5, Total Fat: 17.5g, Sat. Fat: 6g, Carbs: 30g, Fiber: 4g, Sugars: 3g, Protein: 17.5g, Sodium: 482.5mg, Chol: 33mg
Any leftover casserole can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat simply place in the microwave or oven.