Pizza WafflesNov 29 2011 by
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. We love pancakes around here and will eat them for any meal! I went a little bit ‘Glee’ here but instead of a song mash up I did a food mash up and combined pancakes and pizza and ended up with this delightfully spicy waffle that is even more delightful when dipped into pizza sauce. You don’t need delivery for this pizza just heat up the waffle iron and have yourself a pizza party!
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 cup soy milk
- 2 tbsp olive oil plus a little to spray on the waffle iron
- 1 tbsp raw honey or coconut nectar
- 1/4 cup Daiya cheese, shredded
- pizza sauce for dipping
- Spray a waffle iron with a little oil and preheat.
- In a small dish mix the flax with the water and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, oregano, basil, garlic and onion powder.
- Stir in the milk, oil, honey and flax mixture until combined.
- Mix in the cheese.
- Pour batter into the waffle iron in the amount recommended by your iron’s manufacturer.
- Cook until the steam stops and remove the waffle from the iron onto a plate.
- Cut into strips if desired and serve with warm pizza sauce.
Makes 4 large (4 x 6) waffles.
Serving size 1 waffle.
Nutrients per serving (waffle only): Calories: 245, Cal. from Fat: 112, Total Fat: 12g, Sat. Fat: 1.8g, Carbs: 30g, Fiber: 5g, Sugars: 1.75g, Protein: 4.3g, Sodium: 809mg, Chol: 0mg
Waffles are best eaten right away but can be stored in the refrigerator for 1-2 days and reheated in the microwave or toaster oven. If heated in the microwave they will be soft but the oven will make them a little crispier. The waffles can also be frozen and reheated as directed above.