Pasta Salad with Vinaigrette DressingNov 03 2010 by
The Pasta Salad – a much loved potluck staple but mostly overlooked in the daily grind by most people. Yet why??? It’s easy to make, convenient to store and highly portable! If you ask me, that is a healthy lunch and dinner that sounds right up my alley! I guarantee this salad will be a staple in your life with just one bite! Oh yeah, it’s THAT good!
Ingredients for salad:
- 12 oz organic whole grain pasta (I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Eden Organic Kamut Spirals- they are pasta goodness in a little box!)
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 3 large carrots, sliced
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup red onion, finely diced (if you like red onion go ahead and add 1/2 cup – if it’s not your thing stick to 1/4 cup)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, sliced in halves
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1/8 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup Garlic Gold Oil or olive oil
Preparation for dressing:
- In a blender or food processor (I used my Magic Bullet for this and it works perfectly!) add 1/8 cup finely chopped red onion and give it a quick pulse.
- Add vinegar, oregano, dry mustard, salt, garlic and olive oil and mix together in the blender for just a few seconds.
- Set dressing aside.
Preparation for salad:
- Prepare your pasta according to the directions on the package.
- Once your pasta is fully cooked and drained let it sit for about 15 minutes in the refrigerator to cool.
- Next add your veggies to the pasta and top with 1/2 cup of vinaigrette dressing (make sure to save the leftover dressing – if you eat the salad the next day it’s best to have a little to throw on as the pasta absorbs the dressing).
- Mix everything together and top with some parmesan cheese (optional). Serve cold and ENJOY!
Makes 6 serving.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 332, Cal. from Fat: 96.5, Total Fat: 10.5g, Sat. Fat: 1g, Carbs: 46.5g, Fiber: 8.5g, Sugars: 4.5g, Protein: 12.5g, Sodium: 53mg, Chol: 0mg
Store leftover salad in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Store dressing in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
What really makes this salad is the dressing. It’s a delicious vinaigrette that I use on just about every salad I eat!
When I make this pasta salad I immediately divide it into single servings and store the leftovers in the refrigerator WITHOUT the dressing on it. The pasta will absorb the dressing and when you have it the next day you always need to add more dressing. To keep the calories and fat (even though it’s good fat!) down I never put the dressing on until I’m ready to eat it.
For this salad I used the veggies I had on hand but you can add any of your favorites to make this meal. Cucumber, peppers, sprouts, celery, jicama and zucchini are all great to add. You can even toss in some cooked quinoa!
For a gluten free salad make sure to use gluten free pasta.