Orange JuliusFeb 04 2012 by
I’ve read that during the Superbowl 325.5 million gallons of beer will be consumed by 151.6 million viewers. If my math is correct that is almost 2 gallons of beer per viewer. That doesn’t take into account that some viewers (like me) don’t even drink beer. Unbelievable! For any other non- beer drinkers out there or for those under age viewers here is a healthy take on a favorite drink found at many shopping malls across the country. Bottoms up!
- 1 can (12 ounces) unsweetened frozen orange juice concentrate *See Notes
- 1 1/2 cups unflavored non-dairy milk (I use soy for this drink because I think it has the most neutral flavor so it doesn’t interfere with the flavor of the other ingredients but any non-dairy milk will work)
- 1 1/2 cups raw unsweetened young coconut water (young coconut water not coconut milk)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- orange slices or wedges to garnish (optional)
- Place all of the ingredients in a blender and process until smooth and foamy.
- Pour into glasses and serve while cold and foamy.
Makes 4 cups.
Serving size 1 cup.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 202, Cal. from Fat: 9, Total Fat: 1g, Sat. Fat: 0g, Carbs: 46g, Fiber: 0g, Sugars: 42g, Protein: 2g, Sodium: 82mg, Chol: 0mg
*It is important to use frozen concentrated orange juice rather than fresh or reconstituted orange juice. By using the concentrated form the drink is sweet enough from the juice that it doesn’t need any additional sweetener.
If you want to make this a slushy type frozen drink freeze the coconut water in ice cube trays. Once frozen blend with the other ingredients as above.