Naked Trail MixSep 28 2010 by
One of the most popular items in my house for snacking is nuts. Seriously, we are nuts over nuts. My husband is a fan of every kind there is and my daughter was saying ‘crunchie’ (her word for nuts) shortly after ‘momma’ and ‘dadda’. We buy tons of different nuts and seeds and separate the trail mix into snack bags for a super easy snack on the go. There is no wrong way to make this recipe. Add your favorite nuts, seeds and dried fruit and you have a healthy and delicious snack waiting for you!
- 5 cups of your favorite combination of nuts (I like using almonds, cashews, peanuts, pistachios, walnuts and pecans)
- 4 oz dried fruit of your choice (raisin, cherries, blueberries, apricots, gogi berries – any type will work)
- 1 1/2 cups of your favorite seed combination (I like sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds)
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Store in an airtight container or separate into snack sized bags and store in a dry and cool place.
Makes approximately 30 servings.
Serving size 1/4 cup.
Nutritional info will vary depending on the specific ingredients used.
Be careful when buying dried fruits. You would think that fruit would be sweet enough on it’s own but most companies will add sugar to the final product. Make sure you read the ingredients list carefully and avoid any products with added sugars and/or harmful chemicals and preservatives.
I tend to avoid added salt in my diet so all the nuts used in this trail mix and roasted and unsalted. It’s fine to use one or two salted nuts in this recipe, just be aware that you will have a higher sodium content per serving.