Naked ReubenMar 15 2012 by
Portabello mushrooms make a wonderful sandwich filling. But what if instead of being the filling it became the vessel for the filling? And why not fill it with some of the most classic sandwich ingredients from a Reuben sandwich? Our spicy Deli Rub makes these meaty portabello mushrooms taste like something fresh out of the deli case and the tangy sauerkraut and dressing are the perfect accompaniment. With all the flavor going on in this Reuben you will love leaving off the bread and going “naked”.
- 2 large portabello mushrooms, stems and gills removed
- 2-3 tbsp Deli Rub (see recipe below)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut
- 2 tbsp Homemade Thousand Island Dressing
- 1/4 cup cheese of your choice (optional)
Ingredients for Deli Rub:
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp raw coconut crystals
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Heat a skillet on medium heat.
- Drizzle 1 tbsp oil over each mushroom top and bottom. Quickly before the oil is absorbed rub the Deli Rub onto the mushrooms top and bottom (save any left over rub for adding during cooking).
- Place the mushroom top down on the skillet, cover with a lid or foil and cook about 5 minutes.
- Turn the caps over. The caps will probably be filled with juice, if so just pour it out into the pan, sprinkle any remaining Deli Rub over the mushrooms and place top up into the juice. Cover and let cook another few minutes until the mushrooms are tender.
- Remove the mushrooms and place top side down onto a serving plate.
- Place the sauerkraut into the hot skillet to quickly heat up. Spoon the sauerkraut evenly into the mushrooms caps.
- Top with dressing and cheese if using.
Makes 2 Reubens.
Serving size 1 Reuben.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 159, Cal. from Fat: 127, Total Fat: 15g, Sat. Fat: 2g, Carbs: 6g, Fiber: 3g, Sugars: 4g, Protein: 2g, Sodium: 1318mg, Chol: 0mg
It’s best to only make the amount of servings that will be eaten right away. Leftovers do not save well.