Mushroom Tomato ChowderOct 29 2010 by
What do you make when it’s the last day before your next trip to the market? The cupboards and refrigerator are looking bare. I have a couple of cans of diced tomatoes, some broth and 1 package of fresh mushrooms and an onion. Let’s make a chowder! This soup uses ingredients you probably have on hand, is really quick and easy to make and it tastes like something from a restaurant. It’s really great with a grilled cheese sandwich too. Classic comfort food!
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced (I use cremini-baby bellas, they hold up better in soups)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley (if you don’t have fresh dried will do)
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped basil (again, dried will do)
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour *see notes
- 1/2 – 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) organic fire roasted no salt diced tomatoes (regular tomatoes will do but the fire roasted add a wonderful flavor)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese of your choice (sharp cheddar, swiss or gruyere work great)
- In a large kettle, saute the onions and mushrooms in the olive oil until tender.
- Add herbs, then stir in the flour, salt and pepper.
- Add the vegetable stock and cook for 2-3 minutes until thickened.
- Add tomatoes and heat through, don’t boil.
- Spoon into a serving bowl and garnish with 1/4 of the cheese or hold off on the cheese as a garnish and make cheese toasts or a cheese sandwich to go with your creamy yummy chowder.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 223, Cal. from Fat: 98, Total Fat: 11g, Sat. Fat: 2g, Carbs: 21g, Fiber: 3.5g, Sugars: 5.5g, Protein: 7g, Sodium: 200mg, Chol: 4.5mg
I use no salt tomatoes and low sodium vegetable stock so I can control the amount of sodium that ends up in my food. The recipe indicates adding 1/2 – 1 teaspoon sea salt but only add the amount you need to enhance the taste of the ingredients.
Leftover soup can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can also freeze the soup in individual freezer safe containers in the freezer for up to 6 months.
For a vegan soup simply replace cheese with a vegan cheese like Daiya cheese. For a gluten free soup use brown rice flour in place of whole wheat flour.