Huevos Rancheros Breakfast SaladJul 30 2011 by
Salad for breakfast? Why not? Forget the rules. Who makes the rules anyway? This breakfast has the standard egg requirement for any traditionalist out there but the crispy spinach, spicy beans, smooth cheese, sweet peaches and crunchy tortilla chips will appeal to those free spirits who think that rules are made to be broken. I have a magnet on my refrigerator that says “If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun” to remind me to step outside of the lines occasionally. Join me this morning with a spicy salad for breakfast and be a food rebel.
- 2 cups baby spinach or other greens
- 1 can (15 ounces) no salt added organic black beans
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 cup Sweet Heat Chili Sauce
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp pasture butter plus 1 tsp, divided
- 4 ounces queso fresco or other cheese of your choice (shredded montery jack, cheddar, manchego, goat cheese)
- 1 peach, pit removed and cut into 8 slices
- 1 tsp raw honey or coconut nectar
- 1/2 tsp ancho chili powder
- 4 ounces corn tortilla chips
- In a non stick skillet heat 1 tsp butter.
- Add the peach slices and sprinkle the chili powder over them.
- As the peaches soften, about 1-2 minutes, drizzle the honey over them and heat another minute or until the honey and butter have glazed the peaches. Remove to a plate, set aside and keep warm.
- In the same skillet add the beans, chili sauce and tomato.
- Heat 2-3 minutes until warmed through. Remove to a plate or bowl, set aside and keep warm.
- Wipe the skillet out with a damp paper towel, melt the remaining butter and cook the eggs to your preferred hardness, (you could even scramble them if you like).
- To serve, place 1/2 cup of spinach on each plate, top with 1/4 of the bean mixture, 1 egg, 1 ounce cheese, 2 slices of peaches and top with tortilla chips.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 393.5, Cal. from Fat: 181, Total Fat: 20g, Sat. Fat: 8.5g, Carbs: 33g, Fiber: 7g, Sugars: 9g, Protein: 20g, Sodium: 360mg, Chol: 237mg
This salad is best eaten right away. You can however have all the components ready to go and stored in separate containers. Simply cook your egg and plate up the remaining items and you’re ready to go!