Honey Nut Snack MixJun 24 2011 by
My kids and I created this fun recipe during a math lesson one day. I homeschool both of my children and we were learning about measurements and what better way to learn measurements than by using them to make a delicious snack. We had a blast filling the bowl with nuts using all different sizes of measuring cups and after our snack was done cooling we measured out 1/2 cup servings into snack baggies for an easy grab and go treat. While this is a tasty treat it’s not one that I recommend you make often. Nuts themselves are a healthy treat but this recipe has added sugar (natural and clean but still sugar) that shouldn’t be eaten on a daily basis. Enjoy this recipe as a special treat and make sure to share! : )
- 2 1/2 cups unsalted nuts of your choice (I used peanuts, almonds and cashews – the ratio is up to you, you can’t go wrong)
- 1 tbsp raw honey or coconut nectar
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 3/4 cup pretzels of your choice
- 2 tbsp raw coconut crystals or date sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment or non stick foil.
- Add nuts to a large bowl and set aside.
- In a small saucepan heat the oil and honey on medium low heat. Once the oil is completely melted, stir a few times and then pour the mixture over the nuts.
- Stir well until the nuts are completely covered by the honey mixture and then transfer the coated nuts to the baking sheet and spead in a single, even layer.
- Bake for 5 minutes, remove from oven, stir once and place back in the oven for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove baking sheet from oven and let cool slightly (about 3-4 minutes). Transfer the nuts to a large mixing bowl, add the coconut crystals (if using) and toss to coat.
- Add pretzels and stir to combine. Let cool completely and ENJOY!
Makes approximately 7 servings.
Serving size 1/2 cup.
Nutritional info based on recipe using 1 cup almonds, 3/4 cup cashews, 3/4 cup peanuts and coconut crystals.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 329.5, Cal. from Fat: 222, Total Fat: 25g, Sat. Fat: 3.5g, Carbs: 18.5g, Fiber: 4.5g, Sugars: 6g, Protein: 11g, Sodium: 40mg, Chol: 0mg
Store the leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks (not that it will last that long!)