Homemade Twix Candy BarsOct 29 2012 by
It’s been many, many years since I’ve had a Twix candy bar but from what I can remember, these homemade bars are ever better than the original! The best part is the gooey, caramel layer. It’s highly addictive and you may find yourself literally licking the bowl. If for some reason caramel isn’t your thing (is that even possible?) you can substitute the almond butter for peanut butter to create a peanut butter Twix. Either way you’ll have a delicious Halloween treat for all your ghosts and goblins at home!
For the cookie crust:
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice puffs cereal (I used Barbara’s Brand Brown Rice Crisps)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla powder or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut nectar
For the caramel layer:
- 1 heaping cup pitted Medjool dates (10 large dates)
- 4 tbsp almond butter
- pinch of sea salt
For the chocolate coating:
- 3/4 cup Homemade Fudge Sauce or melted chocolate chips of your choice
- Prepare an 8×8 glass baking dish by lining it with parchment paper. You can also rub with a bit of coconut oil if you don’t have parchment paper handy.
- Place the cashews and almonds in a food processor and process until you have a sand-like consistency.
- Transfer to a large bowl and set aside.
- Place the brown rice puffs in a large plastic bag and using a rolling pin, gently roll back and forth about 4 or 5 times.
- Add the crushed puffs to the cashews along with the vanilla powder and stir well.
- Drizzle the coconut nectar over the cashew mixture and stir well until everything is evenly coated.
- Transfer the mixture into your prepared baking dish and press down evenly to form a compact layer. Place in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- While the cookie crust is cooling, add the dates, almond butter and a pinch of salt to your food processor and pulse until a ball forms.
- Remove your baking dish from the fridge and spread an even layer of caramel paste on top.
- Drizzle the top with Homemade Fudge Sauce or melted chocolate and use the back of a spoon to form an even layer.
- Place the dish back in the fridge for 30 minutes and cut into bite sized pieces before serving.
Makes 16 Twix bars.
Serving size 1 piece.
Nutritional info not available at this time.
Leftover Twix bars can be individually wrapped and stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.