Homemade Spice RubDec 14 2011 by
This is my favorite spice rub recipe. I like it because it works on just about everything. It’s also easy to adjust to your own personal tastes by adding or reducing the ingredients. You can leave out the coconut crystals if you don’t like the sweetness or add dry mustard for a little more tang. You can be the chef and create your own signature spice rub blend.
- 2 tbsp raw coconut crystals
- 1 tbsp paprika or smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp ancho chili powder
- 1 tbsp course sea salt
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried lemon zest, ground
- Mix together all the ingredients.
- Spoon into a spice tin or other container.
- Be sure to include instructions for use and storage. *see notes
Makes about 1/2 a cup.
Nutritional information not available.
Instruction for use:
Add 2 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp lemon juice to 4 tbsp spice mix. Spread on firm tofu. Grill and serve or cut into strips and sauté with onions and peppers and serve on a tortilla for delicious fajitas.
Rub can also be used dry on beef, chicken, pork or fish. Grill or bake as desired.
Try it sprinkled over steamed or roasted vegetables.
Store up to 3 -4 weeks in an airtight container in the refrigerator for best flavor retention.