Homemade KetchupJan 02 2011 by
With a 4 and 5 year old at home I am never without ketchup in the house. I went through a couple of attempts before getting 2 thumbs up from both my kids. Here’s the winning recipe!
- 1 can (6 ounces) no salt added tomato paste
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup water (depending on desired consistency, I used 1/4 cup)
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch cloves
- 1 pinch allspice
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp molasses
- 1 – 2 tbsp brown rice syrup or coconut nectar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt to taste
- Place all the ingredients in a medium sized bowl and whisk until throughly combined.
- It is best to let the ketchup sit overnight in the fridge to blend the flavors but it can be used right away if needed.
Makes 24 servings.
Serving size 1 tbsp.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 10.5, Cal. from Fat: 0, Total Fat: 0g, Sat. Fat: 0g, Carbs: 2g, Fiber: 0g, Sugars: 1g, Protein: 0g, Sodium: 5.5mg, Chol: 0mg
The ketchup will keep in the fridge for about 1 – 2 weeks. You can make a large amount and freeze it in smaller portions in the freezer. Thaw in the fridge before use.