Homemade Doritos Tortilla ChipsSep 14 2010 by
I love Taco Tuesday and our Family Favorite Black Bean Tacos. I’m such a creature of habit. You can always count on lunch the next day being a delicious taco salad topped with the leftover bean filling mixture. And what taco salad is complete without crushed up Doritos Tortilla chips on top?! Unfortunately topping my salad with chemically processed, preservative heavy and artifically flavored chips is not appealing to me. So what’s a girl to do but make my own?! While I always start out making them to throw on top of my salad for some reason the whole batch ends up mysteriously being eaten before ever making it to said salad. Second batch most likely follows in first batch’s footsteps. Just saying!
Ingredients for 1 serving of chips:
- 1 whole grain tortilla shell of your choice
- 4 tbsp Homemade Breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp Garlic Gold Oil or regular extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut your tortilla shells into 8 equal sized triangle pieces.
- Lay your triangles out on a baking tray. (I line mine with non stick foil for easy clean up!)
- Lightly spray or brush your triangles with olive oil and sprinkle with the crushed crouton mixture, flip and repeat on the other side.
- Place in the oven for about 10-12 minutes. You will need to keep a close eye on them for the last few minutes as they can go from almost done to burnt very quickly!
- Once your tortilla chips are done remove them from the oven and allow them to cool for about 5 minutes. They crisp up wonderfully after cooling down.
Makes 1 serving.
Serving size 8 chips.
Nutritional info will vary greatly depending on the type of bread used in the croutons and tortilla shells used.
You can easily double or even triple this recipe to make a larger batch of chips to have on hand.
Leftover doritos can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days.
This is a great snack for kids! If you have a picky eater or need a way to get additional protein in their diet these are an excellent choice. Food For Life Ezekiel Sprouted Grain Tortillas have 6 grams of protein per serving and are great to use in this recipe.
The Doritos are also great for dipping into some Homemade Guacamole!