Guilt Free Spinach BurgersApr 19 2011 by
Corn, edamame, mushrooms, onions and potatoes. That is the list of vegetables that my husband eats. Not. Kidding. No green leafy veggies of any kind. Most of the time I sneak veggies into our dinner. Zucchini in the meatballs and meatloaf and squash in the enchiladas. I’ve tried sneaking spinach into a number of meals and according to my husband they have not been successful attempts. Until I made spinach burgers. Of course I got the “No way am I eating these” when he saw the green patties but I told him he can’t say no until he tries them. One bite and he was hooked! The spinach makes the burgers nice and juicy and when cooked you can’t taste it at all. These are by far one of the best burgers I’ve ever had! I’m not a fan of hamburger buns so I opted to have my spinach burgers sans bun. They were perfect on top of some lettuce and dressed up with all my favorite fixings! Oh, and my kids loved them too – double bonus!
- 1 pound organic grass fed lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion, finely diced
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup spinach puree (see notes)
- toppings of your choice (optional)
- 4 Homemade Hamburger Buns (optional)
- In a large bowl mix together the first 6 ingredients using your hands (if your mixture is too wet to form a patty add in 1/4 cup of Homemade Breadcrumbs).
- Using a burger press or your hands, form the mixture into 1/3 inch thick patties.
- Following the instructions per your grilling unit, grill the burgers to your desired doneness.
- Top with your favorite toppings and ENJOY!
Makes 4 servings.
Serving size 1 spinach burger.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 200.5, Cal. from Fat: 82.5, Total Fat: 9g, Sat. Fat: 5g, Carbs: 5.5g, Fiber: 2g, Sugars: 1.5g, Protein: 25g, Sodium: 201.5mg, Chol: 75mg
Any leftover burgers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To make the spinach puree simply add fresh spinach to a blender or food processor and process until pureed. About 4 large handfuls makes 3/4 cup.