Grilled Hawaiian Teriyaki Steak TacosJun 17 2011 by
These are hands down my new favorite taco (hubby’s too!). Which is surprising because I do NOT like pineapple any other way except freshly cut and slightly cool. My husband is a big fan of pineapple (he loves Hawaiian pizza) so I threw a few pieces on the grill along with the steak. I figured I would give it a try and I’m so glad I did! HOLY GOODNESS! The juicy pineapple was so delicious with the Teriyaki flavor of the steak and the cucumbers added a refreshing crispness to it all. The yogurt miso spread is great as a dip too. The kids had fun dipping the carrot and cucumber in it. This recipe works great with chicken too!
Ingredients for marinade:
- 1/4 cup low sodium organic soy sauce
- 1/4 cup pure pineapple juice
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Garlic Gold Oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small or 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
Ingredients for yogurt miso spread:
- 6 ounces low fat or nonfat greek yogurt
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 tsp organic miso (I used a red miso but any sort will do – just make sure to get organic as miso is made from soy!)
- 1/8 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp raw honey or coconut nectar
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
Ingredients for tacos:
- 1 pound organic grass fed sirloin steak
- 1 fresh whole pineapple
- 2-3 carrots, julienned
- 1 large cucumber, finely sliced
- 2-3 green onions, finely sliced
- 6 tortilla shells of your choice
- In glass dish add all the ingredients for the marinade and mix together. Add the steak to the marinate, cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. You can make this the night before and let the steak marinate overnight for a really flavorful steak.
- Remove the steak from the marinate and place on a preheated grill. Grill to your desired doneness. Let the steak rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing. Slice across the grain into strips.
- Cut the top and bottom of your pineapple and then slice in half (you only need one half of the pineapple for this recipe).
- Cut away the sides of the pineapple and then cut into 1/2 inch slices.
- Add the pineapple slices to the grill and grill for 1 minute, flip and grill another minute. They don’t take long to grill so watch them carefully. After grilling, slice the pineapple into 1 inch thick strips.
- To make the yogurt miso spread add all the ingredients to a small bowl and whisk together until well blended.
- Assemble the tacos by placing 1-2 tbsp of yogurt miso spread on the tortilla. Top with 2 or 3 slices of steak, some cucumbers, carrots and a few green onions. Roll up and ENJOY!
Makes 6 tacos.
Serving size 2 tacos.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 396, Cal. from Fat: 82, Total Fat: 5g, Sat. Fat: 2g, Carbs: 58g, Fiber: 8g, Sugars: 12g, Protein: 31g, Sodium: 506mg, Chol: 66mg
This recipe works well with chicken too. The only change is to marinate the chicken no longer than 6 hours.
Make sure to use a gluten free soy sauce or tamari if you follow a gluten free diet.