Garden Vegetable Lentil SoupFeb 17 2012 by
This soup is perfect cause it’s fast and fresh and can be made with just about any vegetables you have on hand. The flavor is amazingly deep and rich. Done in under 30 minutes it’s perfect for a fast week night meal served with some crusty warm bread on the side.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 tsp sea salt or to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp majoram
- 1-2 tsp smoked paprika(I like smoked paprika so I use 2 tsp but use less if you are not so inclined)
- 1/2 – 1 tsp black pepper, to taste (The same goes as the paprika, I like pepper so I use 1 tsp)
- 1 jar (28 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup cooked lentils (beluga or french green work best as they hold their shape without getting mushy) *see notes*
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- optional vegetables *see notes*
- Heat the oil in a large stock pot over medium high heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery and salt. Saute until soft, about 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté a minute more.
- Add the thyme, marjoram, smoked paprika and pepper. Sauté another minute to let the spices infuse with the vegetables.
- Add the tomato puree, tomato paste, lentils and broth.
- Bring to a boil, cover and lower heat to a simmer.
- Cook 15-20 minutes.
Makes approximately 6 cups
Serving size 1 cup
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 188, Cal. from Fat: 44, Total Fat: 5g, Sat. Fat: 1g, Carbs: 25g, Fiber: 10g, Sugars: 6g, Protein: 8g, Sodium: 397mg, Chol: 0mg
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze up to 6 months.
If you are using lentils that don’t need to be soaked first and cook in under 30 minutes you can add the lentils uncooked and then just simmer until they are tender. You may need to add a little additional broth.
Zucchini, potatoes, corn, peas, or other seasonal vegetables can easily be added at the same time as the tomato puree and broth. Just simmer until all the vegetables are tender.