Garden Vegetable and Rice CasseroleApr 24 2012 by
As I was out watering my garden this weekend and looking at how well the zucchini and summer squash were doing I was dreaming of all the delicious ways that I would be using them in recipes this summer when they were ripe and ready to pick. As I went back indoors I decided I didn’t want to wait. I had zucchini and summer squash from the market so I was going to enjoy a taste of summer today. I love creating recipes on the fly so here is how it went. I checked the refrigerator for ingredients to use and found brown rice, a Mushroom Breakfast Burger (from our upcoming cookbook – The Naked Kitchen: Veggie Burgers & More), and tofu. Perfect. I really enjoyed this casserole and know that I will be making it again with my own home grown ingredients very soon.
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup shredded yellow summer squash
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup soft silken tofu
- 2 veggie or bean burgers of your choice, roughly chopped
- 1 medium sized tomato, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp Cashew Parmesan Cheese
- oil to grease a baking dish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a casserole or 13 x 9 baking dish with oil.
- In a large bowl mix the first 10 ingredients. Fold in the tofu and stir until completely mixed in.
- Gently fold in the burger bits. Spoon into the prepared baking dish.
- Top with the tomato slices.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until set and browning along the edges.
- Sprinkle the Cashew Parmesan Cheese evenly over the top and serve.
Makes 8 servings
Nutritional Info not available as it would depend on the burgers used in the recipe.
Store leftovers in an airtight container for 2-3 days.