Fava-licious SaladMay 03 2012 by
While working on a recipe recently I needed lima beans and was having a hard time finding them. I looked at 3 different stores and finally decided that I was going to have to make a substitution. I settled on fava beans. I don’t think I had ever had fava beans before but I ended up loving them. They are plump and nutty tasting. I was so taken with them that I started looking for other recipes to make with them. I came across Ful Medames, a traditional Egyptian dish and thought it looked good since many of the ingredients were nearly identical to one of my favorite dressings. For Ful Medames you mash the beans into a spread but I didn’t want to mash the beans so I added a few additional veggies and made a bean salad. Fava-licious.
- 1 can (15 ounces) fava beans, drained
- 1 medium cucumber, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 medium-large tomatoes, cored and diced
- 1 batch Sesame Dressing
- 1 cup cooked barley or quinoa (optional – see notes)
- Combine the first 4 ingredients in a bowl.
- Prepare the dressing as instructed.
- Pour the dressing onto the bean mixture and stir to combine.
- Serve at room temperature or chill for 15-20 minutes before serving.
Makes 4 servings
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 290, Cal. from Fat: 148, Total Fat: 17g, Sat. Fat: 2.5g, Carbs: 27g, Fiber: 9g, Sugars: 7.5g, Protein: 12.5g, Sodium: 477mg, Chol: 0mg
To make this salad a meal with complete protein add 1 cup cooked barley or quinoa.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.